Study in Taiwan Learning plus Adventure


  • Do I need to join National Health Insurance (NHI) of Taiwan? Is it mandatory?

    Yes, according to National Health Insurance Act, NHI is mandatory for international students who hold an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) and stay in the Taiwan area at least four consecutive months.

  • When does the NHI coverage begin?

    Your NHI coverage commences depending on the date of issue of your ARC. You will be eligible to join NHI after 4 consecutive months of issuing date of your ARC, even if your NHI application is in process.

  • If I have NHI, do I still need to pay when visiting a doctor?

    Yes, the benefit package of NHI does not include everything. For each visiting, you still need to pay for the copayment. Extra fee will be charged if you need special treatment or medicine.

  • What should I do if I lost my NHI card?

    Please bring your ARC, a copy of ARC and NT$200 application fee to apply for a replacement NHI card at Post Office.

  • How do I apply for the Taiwanese VISA for the first time?

    Please bring your Admission Letter and other required documents to your local ROC representative office and apply for the Study Visa. You can apply for either a visitor or resident visa, depending on what your local representative will allow. A resident visa will allow you to apply for your Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) immediately after entering Taiwan. Arriving on a visitor visa will add an extra step to receive ARC process. First, you need to wait to receive your student card after enrollment; then, with your student card, you will need to obtain a resident visa which is necessary to apply for your Alien Resident Certificate. The additional cost for changing your visa from visitor to resident status while in Taiwan will be a little over $3000NT.

  • Do I have any insurance in Taiwan?

    You have to join International Student Medical Insurance before you join National Health Insurance. The fee is NTD500 per month. you have to join National Health Insurance after you live in Taiwan continue for six month

  • What is the premium?

    For the Medical Insurance, you have to pay NTD500 per month. For the National health Insurance Program, foreign students have to pay NTD749 per month. Overseas Chinese have to pay NTD374.

  • How do I apply for an extension of Taiwanese VISA for the first time?

    If you are already studying Chinese at a language center in Taiwan, you can use your admission letter to apply for an extension of your visa at the police bureau. They can extend your visa for one to two months. When you enroll in the university, the staff of Office of Ineternational Affair will help you extend this to one year after you receive your student ID card.