The Department of Aquaculture, established in 1978, currently offers a four-year bachelor's degree program for 50 students who graduated from a maritime & fishery and agriculture vocational high school and 5 from high school. A master's program was initiated in 2001. A Doctor's program was initated in 2011.
The bachelor program educates the students to be with the specialized knowledge and skills of aquatic breeding, culture in recirculated water system, management of aquaculture and cage culture, and makes them become excellent experts in this field so as to be employed by local or oversea aquaculture industries.
The master program trains the students to become the experts in high level industries concerned. They will have the abilities to develop and create the related aquaculture techniques with scientific principles.
The bachelor's program requires a total of 130 credit hours: 99 credit of required credit, 31 credit of elective credit.
The master's program requests to obtain 30 credit hours: 10 credits of required course, 20 credits of optional course.
To meet the development of aquaculture industry and the future education and research focal point in Taiwan, following perspectives are set up completely.
1. To apply biotech to develop the propagation and culture techniques, the department emphasizes the importance of both learning and practice.
2. To be adapted to the government's policies, the department lays stress on fish feed, cage culture, recirculating aquaculture system.
3. To coordinate with the cooperative education plan, the department provides students a place to practice.
1. The facilities include a main building (400m), auqa feed factory, aquaculture farm and greenhouse, and concrete fish pond.
2. The main building consists of separate laboratories for fish diseases, fish physiology, aquatic propagation, aquatic ecology, aquaculture feed and nutrition, aquatic algae, water quality, and biotechnology, and audio-video classroom and a library.
3. The main equipment includes spectrophotometer, and integrated water analysis system, fresh water and sea water recirculated water devices, a waste water treatment module, a pure-water system, freeze dryer, low temperature bath circulator, a freeze centrifuge, and ozone sterilizer, a Lawinar flow safety cabinet, algae rotary incubator, and autoclave, and ultralow freezer, and ultrasonic cleaner, a heave-duty oven a rotary, walk-in incubator, VCR, overhead projectors, slide projectors, microscopes, stereo microscopes, multimedia projector, auto-biochemical analyzer, osmometer, ELISA reader, HPLC-EC etc.