The Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Department was founded in fall of 1954. The Animal Science Department was separately established in fall of 1965 being a three-year program. It was restructured as a two-year program and the name was changed to The Department of Animal Production in fall of 1991, but a four-year program was introduced in fall of 1997 and the two-year program was suspended. The graduate program for full time students starts in fall of 1998, and for part time students program may start as early as 1999.
In order to enhance the competitiveness of the livestock industry, combined with the Animal Science and Biotechnology, nurturing with breeding livestock and poultry genetics and breeding of improved technology and production technology of high efficiency breeding, modern livestock homes planning and rearing management technology, feed formulation design and manufacturing technology, safety and livestock development and use of technology, experimental animal husbandry management techniques and sustainable livestock farm management technology professionals. At the same time, the application of theory and practical course modules, to develop both social and moral ethics and multicultural literacy, modern economic and animal production technology and management talent to develop the livestock industry a new opportunity.